Monday, October 09, 2006

Emotions still raw


The photo is overexposed and colorless ... but somehow it seems like the most appropriate one to express my current sentiment. Still sad -- like an open wound -- like a fresh scrab was just removed.

You see, this photo was taken on the day that we put our beloved Reidar (our Siberian husky) to sleep. My husband took him in while I stayed back with the kids who we felt were really too young to witness the end. As it turned out, I think Chad thought he was too young also. So hard. Such raw emotion. And this photo was taken last May, yep 5 months ago.

I bring this up because when I received my design team kit from Scrappin Trends, it contained some beautiful papers in a soft, almost washed tone by Cosmo Cricket. I thought they would be perfect to capture the "saying goodbye" between my daughter, Hannah (4 years old) and Reidar. But it wasn't 5 minutes into cropping the photos and converting them to sepia tone that the tears began to flow . . . again. I thought I was beyond this. But apparently I am still grieving. After a few hours of leaving the layout and returning, I did finish it. And by the end it seemed sort of like another step in the grieving process. Who knew scrapbooking and psychological therapy would go hand in hand??

I haven't taken a photo of the layout yet, but I will in the next couple of days and post it here, as well as the scrappin trends website.

3 comments:

SageHen said...

Oh I so know how you feel. Our beloved Katie Cat was hit and killed by a car in July. We had her less than two years, but she was such a part of our life.
I've been kitten sitting this weekend and seeing how my family has responded to this new little ball of fluff has me thinking it's time we adopted a new cat. But still, it is so hard to say good-bye to Katie.

Francine said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your doggies. Our pets become such an important part of our lives.

horseygal said...

I am so sorry!
Having been through this, it's just something that is never easy.
We now have 3 OLD dogs and I just dread even thinking about the trip to the vet.